9 March, 2011
What’s in Your Chicken?
Salt is a preservative and a seasoning. I also use chicken broth in many recipes as well. That doesn't mean I want my chicken pumped full of salt or broth, especially without me knowing it. There was an enlightening article in Cooking Light January/February 2011 about chicken being injected with salt water or chicken broth increasing the sodium to 330+ mg per 4 oz chicken breast. I made a bee line to my package of chicken breast that I bought from SAMS and it said each one had 370 mg/breast. The other mouth drop to this article was the packaging can still say "Natural or All Natural". Again, very MISLEADING if you ask me. Be an informed consumer and know what you are buying! If I want that much salt, let me put it in!
Parmesan Chicken with (Optional) Creamy Sage Sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon season salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup liquid butter (recipe: mix together 2 tablespoons room temp butter & 2 tablespoons canola oil)
(mix together the first 6 ingredients - cheese through pepper. Toss with garlic then add half of liquid butter and toss well until mixed well. Bread mixture should be moist but crumbly. Add remaining liquid butter if desire.)
Pre-heat oven to 350F. Spray baking pan with cooking spray then place thawed chicken breast in sprayed pan. Place parmesan bread mixture piled on 4 chicken breast. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until chicken reaches 165F.
Creamy Sage Sauce
- 1/2 cup white sauce (such as bechemel)
- 2 tablespoons no salt chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons liquid butter (optional & see recipe above)
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage or 1 teaspoon fresh chopped sage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Mix all ingredients together in a small sauce pan. Bring to a slow simmer at medium heat. Stir occasionally and heat until bubbly. Serve warm on the side with parmesan chicken.