17 July, 2012
Luscious Lemon Meringue Pie
Posted in : Dessert on
This is an good Old Fashion Lemon Meringue Pie that is easy and it has such a great balance of tart and sweet that it will be hard to stop eating. WARNING: Do not eat alone. Have someone near by to stop you after one piece.
Old Fashion Lemon Meringue Pie
Author: Vickie @ Sweet Grown Alabama
Recipe type: Dessert
This is the true old fashion lemon meringue pie from the South. This was my Dad's favorite. So much so that I made it for him as his Birthday present. You bite into the fluffy hint of sweet meringue and then your already on to the velvety tart lemon and graham cookie crust. Have someone close to stop you after your first piece.
Graham Crust: (great base pie crust recipe)
- 1 package/block of low fat cinnamon graham crackers
- 2-3 Tablespoons real butter
- 1 can of condensed milk (I use fat free)
- ½ cup FRESH squeezed lemon juice from lemons (appx4-6)
- 2 egg yolks (save the whites of the eggs for meringue)
Meringue: If you like the mile high meringue then double this recipe!
- 2 whites from the eggs left from filling
- 1 additional egg white
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (I use evaporated cane juice)
- Place crackers in food processor and pulse until fine.
- Melted butter. Pour in processor while pulsing until texture is crumbly, not wet.
- Dump in pie pan and press bottom and sides to evenly mold pie pan
- Place filling ingredients in an electric mixer or mix with hand mixer using blend attachment.
- Mixed until combined well and pour over crust.
- Pre-heat oven on Low BROIL.
- Whip egg whites with electric mixer using whisk attachment.
- Mix on high until fluffy peaks begin to form.
- Slowly add sugar and mix about 15 seconds longer
- Gently scoop spatula meringue over filling
- Smoothing meringue to the edge of pie, careful not to dig down to filling
- Use back of spoon to make peaks on meringue by touching meringue and lifting up or swirl.
- Place in oven and watch as it broils just until top is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes
- Take out and let cool, then eat away!
- IF there is any left, NOT, cover and store in refrigerator.